1 year ago today I made the life changing decision to eliminate chicken, pork, beef, lamb, & all other animals from my diet. It had been a thought that entered my mind now and then since I was 19, but I finally decided to sit down and research what I was putting into my body.
What I discovered was HORRIFYING. The hormones, chemicals, filth, & disease that I was ingesting in my body was contributing to my digestive problems, bloating, frequent fatigue, & extra 10 pounds. Not only that, but the torture and hell that these beautiful & intelligent animals are forced to endure for their entire lives just wasn't worth the 5 minutes of a blissful-tasting cheeseburger.
So, I made the decision to eliminate meat altogether! Since then, I have lost 10 pounds, my digestive problems have become less severe, my mind & body feel heaps clearer & lighter, and I feel great about the steps I'm taking to hopefully getting rid of factory farming someday!
Pigs, cows, sheep, fish, chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, & ALL animals have feelings, emotions, & relationships with other animals. I am proud to say that I have saved the lives of over 50 animals since being a vegetarian for a whole year! People may think that being a vegetarian doesn't make much of a difference, but it DOES! You'll lose weight, think clearer, you're helping the environment, and you're supporting vegetarian consumerism and saving the life of an animal each week! :)
I hope that in the next year I can make the leap to being a full vegan. Vegans spare the lives of over 100 animals a year and experience a multitude of benefits! If you've thought about becoming a vegetarian, but just don't think you can- trust me, I've been there. Back in the day, I thought there was NO WAY I could give up meat! It's so much easier than you think, I promise. If you're curious, try taking some baby steps!
1. Begin to eliminate meat slowly. If you eat meat every day, cut down to just every other day- or every 3 days.
2. Start to include vegetarian friendly substitutes into your diet, such as tofu, lentils, beans, & leafy greens! These all have the proper amount of protein that you'll need. Also, there are plenty of meat-substitutes that you can try! They have "meat" patties, hot dogs, sausage, bacon...anything you can think of! Try a few brands out so you can find your favorite one!
3. Keep in mind the lifestyles of the animals you're eating. Years and years of research solidly supports that these factory farmed animals feel pain, torture, sadness, & fear on a daily basis- for their entire lives. We would never think twice about eating our dog or cat, but why are we eating these animals? For taste? Really? Is it worth torturing these animals for their whole lives for a meal, when we have an abundant amount of other food sources available to us?
If you are a meat eater, please consider making a few subtle changes to your diet and see how you feel! Take a little time to do some research on what you're putting in your body. Being a vegetarian is much easier than people think it is, and in the end it's so rewarding! Becoming a vegetarian is one of the best things I've ever done. I am looking forward to becoming a vegan and continuing my anti-animal cruelty lifestyle :)
Pictures credited to Farm Sanctuary
xoxo
<33holly





No comments:
Post a Comment