Monday, March 14, 2011

Go With It

If we take a moment to sit down and think about all of the events in our lives, some of us have probably ended up on paths that we never once imagined we'd come down. I, for one, thought by the time I was 24 (and WOW, did 24 seem old back in 1994...) I would be married, maybe have a kid, have a stable career- all that typical American dream stuff. And once in a while I do still wish I had those things. There are people I went to high school with that have very successful jobs- others with husbands or wives- others with children- others that have traveled all around the world- some that are in the peace core. But then I think- who cares?! As neat as it would be to be married by now, I know I'm not ready. And despite the fact that my dear co-worker/friend is convinced Josh will propose in the next year, I know for a fact that won't happen--and I am happy about that, because I feel like I have all the time in the world to get married. And kids- forget it! Not for another handful of years + some! And careers- how is it fair that by the time we turn 18, we are supposed to know what we want to do for the next 40+ years?! And who says we have to do the exact same thing for that entire time? I am going to school for pre-nursing, but who says that I'll even be accepted anywhere? Who says that when I'm 43 years old, I won't have an itch to do something else?

I love to plan- I've always been a planner. But a lot of the time, plans don't always follow through the way you want. Whether it's a dinner date, losing 10lbs, getting that A on a test, or whatever else- I've learned (especially since being in Australia) that you can't plan out everything. I used to (and sometimes still do) get so flustered if something didn't go my way, and I'd give my everything to try and fix it. But if I just go with the flow, everything always turns out for the best.

When I was in Australia, my friend Alisha & I read this (creepy yet interesting) book called the Celestine Prophesy. It's kind of a weird story, but it basically says that everything in your life happens for a reason, and that everyone in your life- whether it be the guy sitting next to you on the bus, an acquaintance, friend, etc is supposed to be in your life because they all teach us something. We are supposed to take coincidences (like running into the same person twice in one week, or overhearing someone say they're from the same hometown as you, etc) and take advantage of them because it will further enrich our lives and open up doors for more relationships & opportunities.

It sounds kind of confusing--but basically, even though I'm not exactly where I thought I'd be in my life right now, I am happy with where I am because there are plenty of wonderful things that are going on that may not be there otherwise. I absolutely love being back in school, spending time with my lovely friends, apartment hunting, being with Josh, learning more about veganism, working at my job- everything! Yes, my life does have it's negative points- but everyone's does. If we all just take a deep breath, take advantage of the opportunities around us, and go with the flow- our lives will most likely become more enriched than we ever thought :)




xoxo
<33holly

No comments:

Post a Comment