Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Don't Get It

I just DON'T get it.


I don't understand how some people just aren't grateful for all they have.


Or maybe they are, but they're terrible at showing it.


I tend to amplify the small things in my life that are wonderful. And maybe some people think that is somewhat naive or childish, but in my eyes it isn't. When I've been overwhelmed with gigantic, real problems- writing down everything I did have going for me kept me sane. I mean seriously, my journal in 2009 & the first part of 2010 are full of lists and lists, repeating themselves of all of the tiny, tiny things that meant the world to me during those tough times in my life. Unemployment, debt, heartbreak, moving back home, I mean..I had nothing big going for me, but I had a ton of little, simple things that kept me calm & gave me hope. Some things even made me smile a little bit.


I am much happier & way more content than I was a couple years ago. Maybe because I'm not 23 anymore, but even as things in my life began to change for the better, I never forgot to be thankful for all of the small things, too.


It can be easy to be swallowed by all of the enormous predicaments in life. Trust me, I've been there.


But to continually complain and throw pity parties for yourself is annoying and won't do anything to help you feel better. Venting? Yes, venting is a must. Crying is healthy. And it'd be unrealistic to be in a state of euphoria every single day. But even if things in your life aren't going the way you planned, you need to 1. Stop planning, and 2. Take a deep breath, make a pot of tea (or buy yourself a chocolate cake), and make a list of every single little thing that is going well in your life. It'll make a huge, huge difference. It truly helps to write your blessings on paper because it helps you feel better and puts your other problems into a different perspective.


Things I'm grateful for (in no particular order):

1. I have a CAR. I hadn't had one for 2 years, and I have one. It's brought me so much independence I literally jumped for joy (multiple times) when I bought it.

2. My ablebodiness (is that a word??) Working out, for the most part, is so much fun for me. But I do have days where I just don't feel like it. What if I were paralyzed? What if my leg was broken? What if I developed MS? I don't have any immediate physical ailments..I am so, so thankful for this <3

3. I have a job. I don't care if it doesn't pay well, or if I live 45 minutes away from it, I have one. I have the mental capacity, physical ability, and right personality for a job. And one that I don't dread going to...I may even like working there :)

4. I am in school. No, this semester has not been much fun. And there are a few classes that I really don't like. But I am IN SCHOOL. I am improving myself and my future, and no amount of crummy professors or nearly impossible classes will stop me of that.

5. I have such wonderful, wonderful friends. I may not see them very often, but I am so blessed to have so many people that I love and who love me back. They make me smile, laugh, lend me their couch to sleep on...I can't express enough how grateful I am for each and every one of them

6. I'll never have to go hungry. I'll never be homeless. I have a warm, safe place to sleep every night

7. I live near one of the greatest cities in the country (arguably the world :))

8. Even though winter is my least favorite season (yet 1 of my good friends' favorites :)), I have a winter coat, gloves, scarves, boots, pants, & sweaters to keep me warm (along with a hot boyfriend to cuddle with at night...but that's just a bonus :D)

9. I have THE cutest little niece ever! A quite uncertain & potentially bad circumstance turned into 1 of the greatest blessings I've ever experienced in my life

10. I have a phone. No, not a freaking fancy smart phone (2% bitter, but I'm over it :)). I don't even have internet on it, but I'm able to call & text people. Last sunday I used it to catch up with one of my good friends :)

11. I'm thankful for my thermos. Without it, I'd have to spend lots of money buying food at restaurants. Instead, I get to bring my delicious home cooked meals with me when I'm away from home all day :)

12. Tea. Any time of the day. I freaking love it. It always puts a smile on my face (and warms me up, since I can't figure out how to turn on the heat in my apartment)

13. I'm grateful that my economics professor curves our grades. Boy, would I be in trouble if he didn't :p

14. I have health insurance

15. Blankets (again, I can't turn my heater on..so this is a big one)

16. Lazy football sundays with my boyfriend and friends

17. Reading other people's blogs- even people whom I've never met, it's a great pick-me-up to read their inspiring words

18. I get to spend part of Christmas Eve with Josh this year, which we've never gotten to do before

19. Vegan restaurants

20. Fantasy football

21. Scented candles. There's nothing like walking in my apartment and it smelling like cinnamon or wintergreen (oh, and add some cinnamon pine cones in there and it smells like Heaven!)

22. Long bubble baths. Topped with eco-friendly body scrubs and vegan 'dream cream' from Lush :)

23. My desk. I don't use it too often because the chair it came with is so uncomfortable (right Jess?? LOL), but when Josh isn't parked at his desk, I take his comfortable chair, set up my work station and crank out hard core study sessions

24. Josh. I can't even start a list of all the things I love about him and how grateful I am that he is part of my life. I try to show him as much as possible...and if I can't show him, I always, always tell him. Not a day goes by where I don't address him by 'lover' or 'my love' or 'my blueberry' (I give you permission to puke, sorry :D). Not a day goes by where I don't tell him I love him and how happy I am that he's in my life (yes, I add that second part in every single day). Ugh, seriously. So, so in love <3

25. My fuzzy little Mia, who always brings a smile on my face :) Even when she chews the carpet or jacks over $300 out of my savings account, she is my #1 baby for life

26. My ipod. Plug in my ipod (or put on pandora) and my imagination goes wild

27. Nature/Seasons. 40 degree weather in the spring that makes me open all the windows and bust out my flip flops. Beautiful blooming flowers & buds on the trees that start to pop....in the summer (my favorite season), I never wear shoes and always wear dresses. The sun is always out, making everything seem brighter. Everything is green- the animals are happy, the birds are chirping. The fall (almost as great as summer), everything cools off, but not too much to where it's uncomfortable. The energy in the air is unbeatable in the fall; the trees are absolutely gorgeous. Leaves crunch under my feet. And even winter...my least favorite, has it's perks. The first snow of the season is thrilling. The air is so crisp & quiet; there's something about winter (even brutal Chicago ones) that are energetic & wonderful

28. Coffee shops. All of them. Okay, Starbucks isn't my favorite, but if I had to choose between no coffee shop and Starbucks, then obviously Starbucks wins. Okay but back to my point--COFFEE SHOPS. I can't think of a more inspiring & invigorating place to come for just about anything- a first date, catching up with a friend, journaling, doing homework, writing a paper, blogging- ANYTHING. The art, the music, the smell of coffee (even though I get tea 95% of the time), people watching, I can't get enough. And especially the locally owned places (holla La Spiaza!) where they know your name (and compliment your Bears debit card)

29. Nail polish

30. Perms (and moose to make them look good)

31. My COMPUTER. And my external hard drive (which I still have to load everything on to. Anybody want to help me with that?)

32. Sunglasses. Squinting in the car while trying to dance to 'Party in the USA' (yes, you read correctly. 1 of my favorite songs that always makes me dance) is quite difficult

33. Oversized pajamas

34. Now that I live on my own (or, well with my boyfriend), I don't have to wear clothes EVER when I'm home. Yes, I can have naked kitchen, living room, bathroom & bedroom time ALL THE TIME. (But I don't. Josh wouldn't get anything done [sorry I had to, LOL] and I'd be hella freezing). But it's nice to have the option, right?

35. Home decorations- fake plants, pumpkins, chinese lights, oodles of picture frames, & homemade art from my mom really make my new apartment feel very homey :)

36. Blenders (homemade smoothies everyday? You bet!)

37. Any and all opportunities to nap/rejuvenate

38. My anatomy professor, who has pretty much given me a 6 pack since June. I laugh in his class every. single. day. I've never looked forward to going to a class as much as I do with his. I want to make him brownies or something after this semester is over, but I don't want him thinking I'm poisoning him or trying to persuade him to bump my grade up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Regardless, I heart him.

39. My eye mask that I wear at night

40. Strangers that smile at me



I could continue to go on and on about the things, big and small, that I am grateful for. But I think you readers got the point. Just keep the small, simple things in mind when you're feeling discouraged or hopeless. Being able to buy gas for your car, spending your entire paycheck on rent, and having loving friends are things we tend to take for granted, even complain about sometimes. But in reality, they're blessings. So are your pets, your nail polish, your music, and your caffeinated beverage of choice :)


xoxo
<33holly

No comments:

Post a Comment