As you can tell by the title, I had the privilege of traveling to Melbourne, Victoria this past weekend! Now, before I begin, I must fill you in on background story numero uno:
Background Story numero uno: About a month before I left for Australia, I called an Australian-based company called Medibank to inquire about overseas health insurance. The person whom I spoke with was named George, and was quite helpful with answering all of my silly questions. We ended up talking for a good 45 minutes about health insurance in the states, American football, rugby, AFL...you name it! It was such a great conversation and it made me feel really good about meeting the locals here. Before we said our goodbyes, George and I exchanged email addresses so that we could be in contact with each other when I arrived here. Unfortunately, he lived in Melbourne, which is about 1 1/2 hour flight away from Sydney, so the chances of me seeing him in Sydney weren't very good. Luckily, he has family that live just south of Sydney--and ironically enough--was visiting them my first full weekend! We met at Central station and had a blast wondering around the city, taking pictures of the opera house, hanging out at the beach, etc etc. I was so excited about my new found Aussie-friend! He told me that I was welcome to visit him in Melbourne anytime...
...so I did! I flew out there last friday afternoon. After getting in trouble for having a "way too big carry-on suitcase" (their overhead bins here are tiny tiny!!), I safely landed in Melbourne where George picked me up from the airport! George does acting on the side, so he was invited to go to a short film viewing behind a small coffee shop. He told me his film was only 10 minutes, so I was kind of confused as to why there would be a huge get together of people for a 10 minute film. We ended up staying for almost 2 hours watching tons of short films! It ended up being a great time. All of the films were directed & produced by people who were from Australia, and most of the actors were Australian as well! I thought they were put together wonderfully and had great potential. George's part in his film was great too! Also, in one episode, he was the main bad guy on a series called Rush, and I've gotta say- without being bias- that he genuinely is a terrific actor! 1 of his dreams is to come to Los Angeles to up his acting career. It sounds so cliche, but he definitely has a lot of passion for what he does and I truly think he has a chance of making it in Hollywood (and, lets be honest...American ladies can't get enough of Aussie men!)
Afterwards, George and I went to a bar to meet his friend who just turned 30. Because I wanted to be alert & energetic the next day, I didn't want to drink very much, so I was only going to have 1 long island. Usually 1 will get me feeling it a bit, but it's not too much to get me out of control (like my birthday party...oy). So George orders a long island for both of us, which was served in a tall but skinny glass. I had 1 taste of it and I was like YUUUUCK~! I don't like pop, but there wasn't even any in this drink! It was literally all alcohol, or so it tasted like. I didn't want to be rude or a wuss or anything, so I just slowly sipped my drink because I knew it'd be the only one I'd have. Sure enough, I ended up feeling it WAY more than I wanted to, but I suppose at that point, I didn't really care because I was feeling pretty uninhibited at that point! haha. I think it also had to do with me not having eaten much that day...so it was probably a combination. Needless to say, I couldn't even finish my 1 measly long island because of how... *sigh*...drunk I was already. But it was a great night and I talked to a lot of cool people, so I guess everything turned out for the best :)
George and I at the bar (pre-drink) ;)
The next day George and I were feeling slightly hung over...I was mostly just tired, but I still had a stint of a headache. I didn't want to waste my day being a slob kabob, so we went out for a nice coffee at this HUUUUGE coffee place! [Visual: if you're from my home town, it was almost as big as the Red Robin, or about 57% of the size of B-dubs on Halsted]. I was totally overwhelmed, but we ended up sitting outside and having a cheesey pastry thing and our coffees. George also was pooped on by a bird.
Afterwards, we headed into the city! We took this tourist bus (fo FREE) that drove around some of the different areas of Melbourne and told us the history of it. I really thought that was pretty neat, Sydney doesn't have any of that (as far as I know), which I think would be helpful and really fun. We got off near the Eureka Tower and decided to head there for a nice 88 story view of the city. Compared to the Sydney tower (see a picture here!), Eureka was much more modern and cleaner (I think when we went to Sydney tower, it was under construction...). It was such a neat experience! Unfortunately, I don't remember even half of the names of different buildings or structures, but I do have these great pictures...sooooo I guess you all can make up your own names for them if you'd like ;)
Eureka Tower!
Outside of the Eureka tower...these are sculptures of BEES!
Afterwards, we headed further into town and had a nice lunch! Then after that, we headed back to George's house (on a TRAM!!!) [sidenote: Trams are the equivalent of cable cars in San Fran!) and took a much needed nap! That night we decided to head down to Phillip Island to see.......wait for it......PENGUINS!!!!! As someone from the northern United States, I never would have imagined I'd get to see penguins outside of an aquarium or zoo. Despite what I had anticipated this penguin trip would be, it turned out to be so much more incredible than I ever thought!! But before I begin my penguin story, you must read another background story:
Background story numero dos: You thought wild penguins only inhibited Antarctica? Think again! Some species of penguin live in the southern regions of New Zealand, South America, and..you guessed it, Australia! The penguins that live in Australia are called Little Penguins. Mirroring their name, they are the smallest breed of penguin. If you have ever met me in person, you know that I am pretty short. If one of these penguins were to stand next to me, they'd be up to my mid-calf...at the most.
Anyways, so these penguins will swim to the shores of this particular beach on Phillip island to lay their eggs, mate, and sleep. Before we got there, I was just under the impression that these penguins would just be hanging out on the beach not really doing anything. In actuality, this beach has been carefully set up and closed off so that these penguins can be as safe & protected as possible. There are bleachers and spots on the sand where people (as many as 4000!) can gather every night around dusk to watch these incredible birds swim to shore and do their thing. This is the time of the year where Little penguins are laying their eggs, as it is almost summertime down here :) So George and I got to the beach just as the first few groups of penguins were coming to shore. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take any pictures or video of the penguins :( But you guys have to believe me...this was THE most incredible experience I've had in Australia so far. Groups 7-14 penguins would emerge from the ocean, and each of them would waddle their way onto the sand and through the rocks and grass to sleep and potentially lay eggs! Their squeaks and squocks (squocks? yes, I think I made that up) were some of the most unique and interesting sounds I've ever heard in my life...and they were LOUD, too! The way they waddle is just so freakkkking adorable, I couldn't stand it!! I kept poking George and pulling on his shirt and pointing to the penguins like a little 5 year old. I was so so so so so excited to be seeing this amazing animals who live in the wild!! Seriously, who can say they've seen WILD penguins before?! Not many!! To actually see this wild animal- one that usually lives thousands of miles away from humans, one that you would never EVER see in the northern hemisphere, one that I never thought I'd see in my entire life, made the experience that much more magical. The wildlife in Australia has been one of my favorite things about being here, but seeing actual wild penguins definitely topped my list. I literally couldn't stop staring at them! I tried to take in as much of the sights & sounds & the overall experience as I could, because I know that I might not get to see wild penguins ever again. Like I said before...this was definitely definitely DEFFFFFINITELY the #1 Australia experience that I've had :)
The Bass Straight!
Inside the Penguin Parade building
Over 1,000 penguins came on the beach that day! (There are usually more that come in the Summer than winter)
Sometimes the penguins can travel pretty far inland. They want people to be mindful, just in case :)
After thoroughly looking under the car for penguins, George and I headed back to Melbourne for 30th birthday #2. By this point, I was EXHAUSTED, but I didn't want to pass up my chance at going out in a city that I may not ever be in again. This time, I ordered 1 tiny malibu and pineapple juice and mingled with some more of George's friends. In many bars in Melbourne, there is a back porch that is attached to the bar, so that people can drink outside, smoke, etc etc. Unfortunately, it's still legal for people to smoke outside of bars & restaurants, and since George and a lot of his friends smoke, I was feeling really sick to my stomach and got really realllllly tired. I still had a good time, but it was past 2am, and for those of you who know me, you know I've only lasted past 2am a handful of times! George kindly took me home so I could go to sleep. It was much needed after the big day we had :)
The next day I woke up refreshed and ready for my last day in Melbourne! George and I headed to St. Kilda beach to walk around & have some lunch. The whole area reminded me of Mission beach in San Diego. There was a theme park, a bunch of tiny shops & restaurants, and loooots of people! Everyone in Melbourne seems very friendly, happy, and laid-back. It definitely felt like I was in California! After we had lunch, we headed down to the beach and got some fresh air. On the way back to George's house, we drove past a few other neat buildings that I hadn't seen yet.
This says 'Melbourne! 11.5.10-11.7.10 =)'
Holla St. Kilda!
I had such a wonderful time in Melbourne!! It is a much different atmosphere than Sydney, but each city is equally fun and colorful! I am so thankful that George let me stay with him and showed me around. He plans on coming to LA next year. I told him that he HAD to come to Chicago and try our pizza (which I am sooo craving right now!) Thanks for reading! Have a great day lovelies!!!!!!
xoxo
<33holly

Once again, AWESOME! You have met the coolest people in Australia!! :) And I can't believe you saw penguins in real life not in a zoo!! That is so freaking cool. I love the "look under your car for penguins" sign, hahaha! :) PS I can't wait until you get back so we can hang out, woohoo! :)
ReplyDelete