Saturday, September 10, 2011

The EASIEST and TASTIEST way to add veggies into your diet

Okay let's be straight here- no one really loves vegetables. I mean, maybe things like corn (which is the least healthy veggie out there...has absolutely no nutritional value...it's actually a starch!) and green beans are okay, but raw broccoli? Arugula salad? Hmmm...nah!

Now, I really like vegetables, but if I'm running around, I don't exactly have the time to prepare a salad, steam veggies, nor do I have the money to always go out to eat. I've found that the easiest way to incorporate 2 servings (TWO!) of LEAFY GREENS (aka the best kind of veggies ever!) into my diet is by....


Wait for it.....


Wait for it.....


Are you ready??


...Adding them into my morning smoothies!! If you add 2 cups of leafy greens, like romaine, spinach, or mustard greens into your smoothie...then add any fruit you want + orange juice, you will barely taste the veggies! If you add kale or arugula, which are stronger in flavor, you may taste them a little bit more...but the fruit will mask it. Here's a sample:


*2 cups leafy greens
*1 banana
*3/4 cup frozen peaches (if most of your fruit is frozen, you don't need to add ice)
*1/2 cup frozen raspberries
*2 tbsp ground flax seed
*1 scoop veggie protein powder (optional...I like to add this for extra vitamin/protein boosts after I exercise)
*1 1/4 cup Orange juice (this is an estimate, depending on how much fruit you actually add)


First, take the leafy greens and place them in your blender. Depending on what kind of blender you have, you may want to add them last (they should be against the blade of the blender...so if you have a magic bullet, add them last!). You can squish the leaves down so that they're not super poofy/take up all the room in the blender.

Next, add the banana- this will help smoothly blend everything together. Then, add the rest of the fruit, flax seed, and powder. Add orange juice (i like to use the kind with added calcium & vitamin D!) until it is almost to the top of the fruit. Obviously, the more you add, the juicier it'll be! Blend together & enjoy :)

I like to mix up everything I put into my smoothies. I use spinach & romaine when I don't have many citrus-y fruits. Kale, collard greens, and 'stronger' leafy greens I mix with mangos and/or peaches. It's important to put variety into your fruits and veggies because each one has different benefits. :) Sometimes I'll even purchase orange & carrot juice and will add that in! Make it fun, add what you love! :)

xoxo
<33holly

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I wish we had a blender, because I would totally do this if we did! I want a Magic Bullet so bad...lol

    ReplyDelete