Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Veggie Necessities For Your Kitchen

Oh, hi.

I should truly make a greater effort to blog more than once every 6 weeks.


Anyhow, I wanted to share with you readers (just Jessy? LOL) what I think are absolute necessities for your pantry/fridge in your vegetarian/vegan kitchen! BONUS: Many of these items you can store in your house for a few months, or more!


 1. Beans. Beans are incredibly filling and are wonderful sources of protein & iron. They're also very filling and easy to make! Dried beans can be purchased in bulk and usually cost less per pound. You can put them in a slow-cooker overnight or in the morning before you leave for work! Canned beans are just as yummy but do not need the extra prep time...just heat them up and add to a stir fry, fajita, or eat on their own :)

2. Frozen fruit & veggies. With the abnormally warm winter we had, many farmers have an abundance of organic produce. Because of this, grocery stores will be having more sales than usual! The best way to take advantage of this is to freeze them! Strawberries, bananas, zucchini, asparagus...nearly all fruit and all but leafy greens can be adequately frozen for future use! Wash it when you first buy it, then cut/peel/prepare it how you'd like and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Let the food freeze for 2-3 hours before putting it in a freezer safe bag! 

3. Quinoa. This funky grain can be found at all grocery stores. It is a complete protein and has the mild taste & texture of rice. This is a great alternative to processed pastas and/or if you want a change from rice! Keep a few boxes in your pantry for a quick 15 minute meal :)

4. Spices/Herbs. Sooooo many people think eating veggie/vegan means there's no flavor in anything. That couldn't be farther from the truth! Spices can get expensive, but once you buy a handful of them, you usually don't need to buy them again for a year or so depending on how often you use it. Going store-brand also cuts down $1-$4 each bottle and you're getting the same thing! :) My favorite spices/herbs? Dried basil, thyme, marjoram, & cinnamon :)

5. Carrots. Carrots are packed with vitamin A and help with building immunity! They are incredibly versatile and can be used in sweet or savory recipes, such as juices, muffins, stews, or with hummus. You can buy 15lb bags at your grocery store (those are usually organic, too!) and can be stored in your pantry or kitchen cabinets! No need to refrigerate unless desired :) 

6. Olive Oil. If you are a big cook, olive oil is basically your best friend. It's one of (if not THE) healthiest oil out there! It has an incredible flavor and essential fatty acids. It's a great alternative to using butter or cooking spray. It cooks well with nearly anything! Josh and I use it when we make pretty much anything :)

7. Nuts. Nuts have saved my life at times of unbearable starvation. Just 1 handful of them contains 7-9 grams of protein and oh, they are so gosh darn filling! I pop a few in my mouth and I'm satisfied! Nuts are a great grab-and-go snack and can be stored anywhere! I may or may not be guilty of having 3-4 bags of miscellaneous nuts in my car at this very moment :)

8. Vegetable broth. One of the things I still struggle with is buying too much produce at the store. Sometimes it starts to go bad before I even use it! When this happens, I throw everything into a pot and make a hearty soup/stew :) Leafy greens, tomatoes, corn, lentils...anything (I mean anything) can be put into a soup! Veggie broth is such a convenient thing to have on hand, since I usually don't plan on making soups too often. It saves me a trip to the store and helps in saving the rest of my produce from going bad! :)

9. Museli. Say wha??? Museli is a mixture of dried rolled oats, fruit, and nuts. Store bought Museli costs around $9 a box, which sounds expensive. However, because this dish is so densely packed with nutrients and fiber, you only need about 1/2 a serving to feel full. The box is 2lbs, so you're actually getting a great deal considering the price-to-weight ratio! Museli can be homemade as well :) It tastes great with vanilla almond milk!

10. Vegan chocolate chips. You just never know when you'll have a craving for chocolate...right ladies?! Vegan chocolate chips have much lower saturated fat levels than milk-based ones. And, for some reason, I only need a couple handfuls of these treasures to get my chocolate satisfaction (which is good since I truly could eat an entire bag of regular chocolate in 1 sitting!! Hence why I rarely buy chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, etc etc). By having chocolate chips on hand, it will also give you freedom of baking more often. Josh and I always have flour, baking powder, etc on hand...usually the only thing we'd be missing is the chocolate, so always having it on hand is great :)




If you can think of any other veggie/vegan necessities, I'd love to hear from YOU! Keep smiling, readers! :)

xoxo
<33holly

1 comment:

  1. Yum! :) I will have to freeze some stuff, we have that huge extra freezer in our basement...good thinking! :)

    ReplyDelete