So I've been here for 5 days now, and things are going pretty well so far! I haven't really done much exploring, but I plan on walking around the city tomorrow afternoon for a bit! This weekend I'm going to Sydney with some people...I am PUMPED!!
The family that I am with is GREAT! They are very laid back and really really nice! :) Maddie is the cutest and chunkiest 6 month old EVER! She is a really good baby. She's pretty easy to take care of- I feed her, burp her, play with her, change her, & put her down for naps. Then a couple hours later I do it all over again- pretty simple! She is getting over being sick, though. She threw up each day I worked, including 3 times today (1 was projectile). I'm actually quite surprised that I didn't freak out (too bad)--baby vomit isn't as bad as I thought. She's a great sleeper and pretty content most of the time. And she LOVES to eat! hehehe
Last weekend we went to Terrigal beach- it's about 20 minutes away from the house. It. Was. Beautiful! The sand is SOOOOOO soft and the water is incredibly blue---like the bluest blue I've ever seen! I really want to take surfing lessons, I plan on doing some research and hopefully starting in the next 2-3 weeks! And even though it's "the end of winter" here, it's in the 60s and sunny basically all the time. The only crummy part about it being winter is that it gets dark pretty early. That's not really a huge deal, but apparently robbery is a big thing down under, so Denissa advised me not to walk around at night. Huge bummer since by the time I'm done with work, it's already almost dark! But she and Damien are great and will let me go out once or twice a week during the morning/afternoon.
Here are some interesting things I've noticed about Australia so far!
1. On the news, A LOT of what they talk about is 'Hollywood gossip' and American celebrities that are currently in the news. Just when I thought I could get away from this Tiger Woods nonsense...
2. Speaking of TV, they have a lot of the same shows we do in the states! They have friends, how i met your mother, king of the hill, family guy, ally mcbeal, ellen degeneres, and lots more!
3. When you flush the toilet, the water does NOT swirl the opposite way. It just goes straight down.
4. 'Trolley's' are shopping carts, 'Sunnies' are sunglasses, and the end of a bottle is called a 'teat'..but when spoken with an Australian accent, sounds like 'tit'..haha :)
I hope to have some more fun facts soon! I am really looking forward to this weekend :) I've gotten in touch with a couple other aupairs out here and hope to meet up with them soon! I will update soon with some pictures :D Thanks for reading!
xoxo
<33holly
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OMG SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) I can't wait to hear more, I am so glad the family you are with sounds so nice!! And way to go on dealing with the throw-up....I know how much you hate it, lol. I miss you I hope you keep having so so much fun!! :)
ReplyDeleteHey babe. I like how you said "They let me go out once or twice a week." Haha. You are making it sound like you are in prison or under house arresst! BTW, i've been to the future and i know that you DO end up taking surfing lessons. Now if only i can go back and tell you this earlier.... :)
ReplyDelete