Saturday, September 25, 2010

Validation

The other day, I decided to try this new cafe by my house. It had yummy juices, muffins, & snacks- not to mention the hella cute wicker furniture & sparkly pillows on outdoor terrace :)

It was the warmest day I've (experienced?) so far here, so I made a comment to the woman sitting by me about how nice it was outside. This lead on to the typical 3 minute conversation I've had with many locals here: "Where are you from?" "Are you on holiday?" "Ohhh...you're an aupair! That's so lovely!" "You must go visit _____, ________, and ________."


I told her I was returning to the states to pursue a degree in nursing, but that I was apprehensive about the course load and with me having a learning disability. She then exclaimed "I was a nurse! It's the best thing I've ever done. Uni (college) is quite difficult, but you are taking care of people and changing their lives every single day. It's well worth the few years of struggling." She and I talked for a few more minutes about nursing and how it's a wonderful profession and how I should not let my fear hold me back from trying.


She then told me it was such a wonderful thing for me to come to Australia to explore, and that she wished she had done the same thing when she was younger. "I had a husband and 2 kids by the time I was your age" she said- and now that they're older, she wants to travel to Italy. She told me that ever since she could remember, she had a vision of a beautiful house that was near a beach- and for whatever reason- she knew she had to live in that house one day. A few years into her adult life, she happened to come across a photo of the exact same house she had been dreaming of, which happened to be in Italy! She knew that she 100% needed to live in that house, in Italy, at some point in her life. She has not since been able to accomplish her dream because she has no idea how she would ever get over there.


I began to tell my sob story of how I began thinking of moving to Australia when I was a teenager- and how in my heart, I always knew I had to spend a part of my life there. I explained that I had seriously began thinking about it in December and started working toward it in February. I told her that I had worked 60+ hours a week at 3 part time jobs that didn't pay very well in order to pay for it. I told her how certain people in my life had literally yelled and screamed "You're being immature. You need to fucking grow up. You're an adult now, you can't be fucking playing around anymore. There's no use in traveling when you have everything right here. You're being stupid and selfish. There's no way you'll ever make it."


But despite the few individuals who attempted to haunt me and shatter my heart- my soul was stronger than any words or actions they could ever throw at me. Not to mention, I had some wonderful friends who understood my dream and encouraged me to keep fighting, even when it seemed impossible. And even though I worked for 6 months to live here for 3, each day that I've been here so far was the biggest blessing I've ever experienced. I wake up smiling & excited for each new day and I am mindful of every minute that I'm here. I told her it was all worth the pain, tears, heartbreak, weeks where I had no day off, and proving to myself that I was going to follow my dream, even if I had people or circumstances trying to push me in another direction.


My new friend, almost in tears, told me that I had helped her realize her dream even more than before. She absolutely was going to work toward accomplishing her life-long dream of living in that house in Italy, even if it meant working feverishly for months or years. She told me that I further inspired her to follow her dreams- and that she wasn't going to let anyone stop her or tell her otherwise.




I have never had anyone tell me I've inspired them before- let alone, to follow their dreams. That is the most beautiful thing you could ever ask for. I proceeded to thank her for further motivating me to become a nurse. We hugged, exchanged information, and said our goodbyes. I had never felt such a feeling of accomplishment and validation. I, somehow, was able to offer some positive energy & encouragement to a complete stranger in a foreign country.


It's difficult to tell someone that they've inspired you. People might think it's silly or that it's not very meaningful- but when I think about the dozens of people who have inspired me, it makes me feel a sense of comfort and validation as to why I'm here in this world. I am so grateful I was able to finally give some inspiration out to someone else, and that she was courageous enough to tell me I helped her.


Think about all of the people who have inspired you & take a few minutes to let them know. Who knows- maybe you've inspired many people as well! Keep on with your positive energies & optimistic personalities- and never EVER believe anyone that tells you your dreams are impossible. You're better off trying than letting fear hold you back <3


xoxo
<33holly

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool!! I am so glad that you were able to inspire her, and that she was able to inspire you too :) I am so glad you are going for your nursing degree, you are so nice and upbeat I could totally see you as a nurse! :)

    ReplyDelete